Why Summer is the Perfect Time for 3-Day Weekends

Why Summer is the Perfect Time for 3-Day Weekends

My three-day weekend is coming to a close and it has been quite the whirlwind of activity with a surprisingly large amount of R&R. On Saturday my husband and I went to a water park. It was a perfect, high 70’s and not humid at all which has been the case a lot lately. We were definitely in a very relaxed state of mind. First thing we did was go to the concession stand and have a pretzel. We took our time just chatting and enjoying taking in the fabulous weather. When we made our way to the pool chairs after loading up on sunscreen, we laid back and just people watched. At one point looking at all the little kids jumping into the pool, I couldn’t help but feel kind of old. When I was younger, I was the first one to get into the water and now to consciously lounge and take in the sun is an interesting change.

We ended up taking a couple of laps in the lazy river on those huge inflatables and swimming in one of the really big pools and then finished our time there with more poolside lounging. After the water park, we went to the grocery store as our fridge was pretty bare. Came home after the water park and after having a snack, I ended up taking a nap for close to an hour smack dab in the middle of the evening. I can’t remember the last time I did that. My husband made us breakfast for dinner, and after hanging out together for most of the evening, I ended up staying up until close to 2am playing some mindless casino games on the computer.

Yesterday was the family reunion and it was a great deal of fun catching up with everyone. It was my lowest social anxiety feeling one so far, so that was extremely nice. It’s amazing how much more enjoyable life is when I’m not feeling anxious. My husband and I ended up driving close to 5 hours round-trip to attend and we were definitely feeling the effects of being on the road when we got home. I had a snack and watched a little TV and then took a nap. I quickly got ready after the nap as I had my first softball game in over a month.

It was a perfect night for playing ball. My husband came out with me, and I actually had a pretty good game. I had a walk, and one hit, so I made it on base both times I was at bat. I caught an out when someone fouled it up in the air at home plate. The atmosphere was friendly and lighthearted which made it much more fun. By the time we drove home close to 9:30pm, I was starting to fall asleep. I can’t remember how long I made it before I fell asleep. I know at one point I was once again enjoying playing a game on the computer when I was thinking to myself that I should just take a little nap on the couch and then I was gone.

Today for the conclusion of my 3-day weekend, I woke up quite late and enjoyed two cups of coffee that my husband made. Let the dogs out and worked a little bit on some articles I halfway started last week. My husband and I ran a single errand (post office to submit our passport applications). That was kind of stressful; I was watching the post office worker like a hawk the entire time. The last thing I want is to have to resubmit any part of that application with all the different documents it entails. I breathed a huge sigh of relief on once we were driving back home; I could feel my chest and rib cage relaxing. I enjoyed some quiet time with my husband before you guessed it, taking another nap. That’s 3 for 3!! I woke up and started working on this post and then made dinner for the first time in at least a week (spaghetti and meatballs with side salad and garlic bread)!  Overall I’d say it was a pretty successful weekend, especially the napping. Can’t wait until the next one.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *